Music for my Mom's listening pleasure :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sesquicentenial Weekend!!

Well - this weekend has been quite the celebration here in Monroe City. This was their sesquicentenial weekend. 150 years....wow. Some people are still around that can remember the Centenial celebration. I know my friend Deb at work was just a little girl (like 3 or 4) and she was in some play or something. So for most of us.....this is the type of thing that we'll never see again. Water Tower Park was buzzing with HUNDREDS of people. And I don't think that hundreds is an overstated amount!!! There were many different stands set up for people to enjoy or look into. As well as food (yeeee haaaaa the kettle korn man was there!!!!!! I knew this Friday night - I staked him out after work!!)

We went to town around 9 and since the middle of town was soooo full we just opted to go out to the incoming road and park. The route was actually going to go down the business loop. We parked at the Vet Clinic and waited. Susie and crew came all the way to Keokuk to see the big event. She has a few pictures on her blog site that are much better than mine so check hers out if you like. (the link is on my page) In fact, my picture of my favorite entry of the parade (Garner's Funeral Home's first horse drawn herse) will NOT load onto this blog page as the whole picture. I've cropped it down so much that it's not even capturing the drivers, the horses or the light posts on the side. Anyhow, here it is and you can get the general idea. The big highlight of the parade, was of course the famous Budweiser Clydesdales Hitch. We see them at State Fairs; we see them at Grant's Farm; but there is nothing like seeing them clip-clopping down the streets of your own little home town such as Monroe City!!!!! [I apologize for the lighting of my pics......I think I had my finger on the lighting button instead of the zoom.....gaaahhhhhh]

See how light it is? You can barely even see the little dog up there on top. He was decked out in some kind of gold thing around him. Fancy Schmancy! lol

Those are the highlites. There were entries from the local banks, the feed store, the doctor's office, misc. clubs from town, horses, military personell, the high school band, the fire dept. had their 1928 first motorized fire engine in it, the good ol' Shriner's that ride their miniature bikes and cars. Those men scared the crap out of me as a kid......I still didn't really get into them. I think they left a lasting impression! LOL It was just a good ol parade all around. Am and I both really enjoyed it.

After the parade was over we talked with Susie, Bobbie her sister and their mother. They were fortunate to watch from "downtown". They were leaving as soon as the parade was over so they hunted us down and stopped at our perch on their way out. It was just a short visit. We made our next stop at water tower park. We roamed around for awhile and made our way to one of the L O N G food lines. I mean, it's noon and there's a million people doing the exact same thing - looking for food! LOL We were in line for almost an hour!! But it sure was good. The rain started shortly after we ate. Just a little bit - I mean it was not a down pour but it was much more than a sprinkle. It lasted 10 minutes probably. It stopped and I found my date with the kettle korn man!!! :) Down the block and to the North, we went over to North Park to the car show. They had a nice turn out also. Am's favorite was this car. I think it's a 1966 Chevy Impala Super Sport.

I only say "I think"...because I can't remember if it's a '66 or a '69 but I'm pretty sure it said 66. We milled around there for awhile and took one more look at the Clydesdales. They had florescent yellow "paint" stuff on their legs. I found out that it is whitener. It helps keep the white hair on the bottom of their legs white. I bet you didn't know that - did you!!!! As you can see, Am and "Smokey" were talking it over one last time. lol

We left and went out by the grocery store where they had several old tractors on display. Heaven forbid we didn't go look at THOSE!!! lol Then we went home for awhile and ended up going back to town around 8:30. There was to be a fireworks display at "dusk"......however, it didn't get started until about 9:20 - which by the way is NOT dusk....it's DARK!!!!!! I guess since the parade miraculously started on time - they had to screw up something!!!!! Once it got started it was nice. Until the rain came. They really didn't even get to have a "grand finale". I'm sure that the rain had much to do with it. Oh well. This is as good as the outcome got on my camera!!! I guess the speed of light doesn't take too well when you have a lower speed camera!! HA
We intended to go back to town this afternoon for the birthday cake/ice cream social - but we didn't. I hopped on the mower instead. And as with a few things yesterday, I mowed until the rain kind of downpoured that I had to stop! And I had only ONE STRIP left.....but it was a long one and Am was waving me in and had the garage door open for me! lol
Welll.....as Porky always said at the end of the cartoons........."bbbth bbbbtthhhhbbbbbttthhhh bbbbbttttthhhh THAT'S ALLLLL FOLKS........."

1 comment:

Susie Schulte said...

You took some mighty fine pictures! I've read this story every day this week, and enjoy the pictures over and over. I've had computer problems until yesterday. Have you heard of the Fair Access Policy? Apparently, I exceeded the limit of fairness one day, and got put on slow speed for 24 hours. Horrible! I guess that's what I get for uploading almost 400 pictures to Snapfish! I won't do that again! Great pictures. I think it's funny that we both took pictures of the horse drawn hearse!