
Well, another Thanksgiving has come and gone. Ambrose and I made the (short) trip to Kahoka to my mom's and then we headed up to Ft. Madison to a nice place called "Alpha's on the Riverfront". It is a nice place. We have gone there for several years. They have everything you would want on your Thanksgiving plate...welll....almost everything --> there were no noodles :( but I don't really need them anyhow. There was some kind of pasta stuff on the smorgasborg but believe it or not, I didn't care for it. It snowed on us on the way up - but just flurries. No worry for a white out blizzard or anything. If you look closely, you can see the snow falling in the picture!!! This is us outside Alpha's (and 10 pounds heavier). I should have had the stranger walking by take a picture of the three of us...oh well. Wouldn't want a stranger to think we (I) was a weird or something hehe
After our return to mom's we all changed into our comfortable clothes. Around 3:30 I decided it was time to move and put on the ol' tennis shoes and went for a walk. Am went with me. Brr it was rather brisk but it was ok. We walked down the lane, went left (East) and up the hill to the saw mill and then back. We walked into the wind on the way back and I think my face is still frozen! LOL Not really but it is still red. I would say I got a little wind burn. We probably went over a mile total. Not as much as I'm used to walking but much colder than what I'm used to. Can't say we didn't walk off some of our meal!!
The story gets better now...and I apologize for such crappy pics. But I have a terrible time getting ANY pictures in darkened atmosphere (inside or out) to turn out. I use the flash, don't use the flash, turn it to night setting & still the end result is thumbs down. Anyhow, these are blurry!! {if you click on the photo, it will enlarge it for you - then to go back to this posting, just hit the back button at the top of the screen} Mom and I were in the kitchen getting ready to cut a little dessert when I looked out the kitchen window and low & behold, there was the possum that we had been discussing earlier. That sucker is HUGE lemme tell you!!! MY WORD I don't think I have ever seen such a big possum in my life!! He was dining on cat food.

Isn't he huge??? Lord!! Anyhow as I was trying to get these pictures, he started to waddle on into the flower garden. I went back inside and Am and Mom were at the other door. Am was going to shoot the thing. But, it left when I was out there. We knew it would be back though. Apparently he's been there many times and this wasn't his week. He'd been "stoned" twice already this week by big geodes that sit along side the woodstove!!! That is what mom uses as her "artillery" LOL [If she still had my old yellow Louisville Slugger bat....she'd wreak havoc on that thing!!! that is a story from the early 80's.....ask her about it sometime!!!!!!! It puts a whole new meaning to BATGIRL] Anyhow, within a few minutes the possum came back. Am went out the other door. He's not used to shooting a 22...as his gun here is a 20 guage shotgun. Plus....that gun hasn't been used like forever & of course, the 3 of us had no clue where to load it and what-not. Didn't even know if it was loaded but he soon found out that it was!!!!!!!!!!! And let me just say the one shot was all that was fired!!!! He hit it right on target. HOWEVER.......it didn't kill it (not right off the bat anyhow) He was definately hit......as it fell down and then staggered along. Am was going to finish it off but that was when he had loading trouble. The possum was growling at him as it walked away this time and it went into the little woodshed behind the house.
Here he is walking off into the flower garden. As I said earlier, it's too dark but if you click on it and look thru the blurr, you can see it. You can kinda see it's tail w/out clicking on it. Lordy those things are just nasty looking!! I couldn't get a picture of the shooter - as I would have had to gone outside and I just didn't want to! We didn't know what happened for sure - the varmint went out to the woodshed and we know that Ambrose went after it and it sure did take a long time for him to come back. We decided that the opossum took over and got Am! LOL He came back and he never did see where (in the woodshed) the thing went. I'm sure she'll find it sometime by smelling it!!!!
Here he is walking off into the flower garden. As I said earlier, it's too dark but if you click on it and look thru the blurr, you can see it. You can kinda see it's tail w/out clicking on it. Lordy those things are just nasty looking!! I couldn't get a picture of the shooter - as I would have had to gone outside and I just didn't want to! We didn't know what happened for sure - the varmint went out to the woodshed and we know that Ambrose went after it and it sure did take a long time for him to come back. We decided that the opossum took over and got Am! LOL He came back and he never did see where (in the woodshed) the thing went. I'm sure she'll find it sometime by smelling it!!!! Anyhow...that was the excitement to end the day! Never a dull moment, ey? We got back to our house about 7:15 or something like that. Not late but plenty dark. Right now I could just shut my eyes and fall asleep typing this. Not sure why........I didn't eat THAT much turkey to make me tired!! haha
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving with your loved ones!!!!!!
Now..........tomorrow is "Black Friday"....and unlike last year, we are NOT getting up before the butt-crack of dawn and going out amongst the zoo animals!!!! We might go out later on but maybe not either!!!! :)
Good night




2 comments:
I thought your pictures were good and your description of the day was "right on". Hope you had a nice time at my house on Thanksgiving. Love Mom
I had a WONDERFUL time at your house! Always do!! :)
Post a Comment