I know I haven't updated since I mentioned the episode that Miss Nala (my calico) had last Sunday. I ended up taking her to the vet on Monday afternoon just to see what's going on with her. (some of you have already read this....it's the original email on her diagnosis) Miss Nala has an issue w/ her thyroid, Dr. Otto said, called hyperthyroidism. Then she listened to her heart and said she has a murmur and it didn't sound good. Reason being, a cat's heart beats so rapidly that it's normally not even heard or detected; Nala's murmur was very loud and clear. The thing to do now is to make sure to keep her from stress {I guess she and I need to move out - because between Ambrose and Molly the cat, she's going to be stressed forever) Anyhow....because drawing blood from her would make her freak out (stress), Monica did not do that to test the thyroid. For now, she is going to be taking a very small (piece) of a pill once a day. She had to cut the pill into eights if that tells you how small it is for her little body. This is some heart pill. And also I have to give her a quarter of a childrens aspirin daily. I will take her back in 2 weeks so she can listen to her heart again. Now, onto the diet. This is so much like an adult person. I have to "cut back" on her salt intake. Now I don't know about you...but I don't normally read labels for my own food, let alone cat food bags!!!!! She did recommend the good ol SCIENCE DIET for senior cats....which mind you, is about $10 a small bag.......she said she doesn't recommend it on most occasions, except in a heart case...as it does have less salt. Oh great so tell me how to keep fat butt Molly out of THAT! Another thing to watch her for is her urine out. I guess just to monitor that she's going. Not sure how I'm supposed to do that when I'm gone all day; just assume she's going I reckon. I have to watch for her NOT going..as it will indicate her kidneys are shutting down and you know what happens after that.
As for the "drunk walking" she was doing..........she checked some kind of pulse in each leg quarter and asked what side she fell to when she had her episode. I said the left...and her response was that there wasn't much of a pulse on the left side...so it all points to feline cardiomyopathy. Now, does that word sound familiar???? Yes it should......mom was just diagnosed w/ that! How weird, huh? Also.....it's pretty common in the heart problem kitty...for a clot to form in the legs...so she suspects that there may be one as well........ Good grief...........I wasn't expecting all that! But we're ok with it. That's the sum of it. Am's first words were "did she give you a time frame?" I told you he just can't wait for her to die. He already told me he's going to "fling" her over the fence onto the railroad. You might see the cops issueing a divorce paper if that happens!!
I have finally managed (and it only took 3 days) to get her pills in her with out freaking her out and fighting her. I bought some cat treats and just put the piece of pill (which is a blood pressure med for people) in the treat and she gobbles it up! I give her the heart pill in the morning and the aspirin in the evening. She certainly isn't her old self these days. SHe doesn't follow me around the house AT ALL; she doesn't jump in the windows AT ALL; she doesn't get up to eat or drink AT ALL; she just lays on the bed in a ball and sleeps...ALL THE TIME! I manage to get her to eat by taking food to her and she eats some..and I take a little dish of water to her as well. Sometimes I make her get up and she comes into the living room for a little bit and then goes back to bed. Poor kitty. I don't know if she doesn't feel well or if the pills are making her sleepy or what. I just hate seeing my 'baby' in this stage of her life.....even though she has been a demon kitten, a hateful thing from time to time and a viscious creature that bites the living h*ll out of me....I still love that cat!! Need I say more?????




1 comment:
We drove to Quincy this morning. Took Mom's Buick down because she went out to start the Olds, and it wouldn't start. We figured it was the battery, but when we jump started it, it wouldn't keep running, so now Mom has two cars on the Blessing lot. At least one runs. Anyway....the point of that tale...the roads were slick! Going down was worse, but when we came back it was starting to sleet again. We were glad to get home. We heard that it was much worse down your way. Lots of folks without power. Hope you don't lose electricity, but glad you're prepared!
Post a Comment